M-Bus, what is it?
The M-Bus (meter bus) is a cost-optimized field bus for the transfer of energy consumption data. A central master - in the simplest case a PC with level converter - communicates by a 2 wire bus with the bus users (up to 250 slaves per segment: Heat meter, water meter, electrical meter, gas meter... and also sensors and actuators of any type).
More and more manufacturer implement the electrical M-Bus interface with protocol layer into their meters. The M-Bus is european standard and described in the standards EN13757-2 and EN13757-3.
Advantages of the M-Bus system
- standard field bus system (EN13757-2 / EN13757-3)
- two-wire bus with power supply of the bus users
- no special requirements to the bus cable (electricity installation cable or telephone cable is enough)
- almost any wiring topology (line, star and tree)
- large extension (up to some kilometers)
- remote reading of consumption data (heat, water, gas and electricity ..)
- communication with sensors and actuators of any type
- energy monitoring and - optimization
- leakage monitoring
- applicable in the industry and in private households
- good availability of system components
- superior costing / performance relation
- remote read out with modem possible from any place